Search This Blog

Sunday 4 September 2011

THE BOATHOUSE CAFE AND AFTON STREET CONSERVATION PRESERVE

Yesterday my mum, my sister and I went to the Boathouse Cafe and Afton Street Conservation Preserve.

When we arrived at the Boathouse Cafe, I headed straight to the lake which I knew from experience was a good place to look for waterbirds. The lake didn't disappoint me, turning up a pair of Australian wood ducks, lots of Pacific black ducks, lots of silver gulls, a few grey teals and a few chestnut teals.

A chestnut teal (top), a grey teal (middle) and a Pacific black duck (bottom).

Then we headed for Afton Street Conservation Preserve. We checked out the wetland and saw two little pied cormorants, a Pacific black duck and two wood ducks. Then we headed for the grassland. At the grassland we saw two spotted turtledoves, one superb fairy-wren, a few yellow-rumped thornbills and a few female flame robins.


A female flame robin

All in all, this trip was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment