Search This Blog

Saturday 22 October 2011

WILLIAMSTOWN LIFE

Yesterday we went to Williamstown Beach. We had a great time, but I am going to talk about the life that I saw while exploring the beach.

AQUATIC PLANTS
Sea lettuce, Ulva australis was common around the beach. There were also a few Neptune's necklace plants and a few other ones I couldn't identify.

BIRDS

I spotted two juvenile Pacific gulls, but my images of them are too bad to show here. Silver gulls were commoner and little pied cormorants were abundant along the rocks. A white-faced heron also came soaring in over the beach and feral pigeons and house sparrows dominated the area around the car park.

SHELLS

There were a few colonies of edible blue mussels and many variegated limpets, as well as a few shells I couldn't identify. There was a large, clam-like, white shell half-buried in the sand, but my photos of that were also too bad to show here.


A little pied cormorant perched on a rock

Various shells. The big, stripy, circular-shaped shells are variegated limpets. The small, zebra-striped, ribbed shells are ribbed top shells. The big, white snail-like shell is a predatory sand snail.

FISH
I spotted a school of small fish that I think are smallmouth hardyheads, but I'm not sure. They may also be juvenile yellow-eyed mullets. Please post your thoughts in the comments. An image is below.


All in all, it was a great trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment