Search This Blog

Monday 7 July 2014

CAIRNS: Kingfisher Park Feeders

The feeders at Kingfisher Park attract a wide variety of birds. The owners of the property, Keith and Lindsay Fisher, regularly put out birdseed and fruit that attracts many birds for birders to wow at.
The birdseed attracts mostly red-browed finches, of which there are plenty around the Park. The main attraction at the feeders are the honeyeaters: you can reliably spot the endemic Macleay's honeyeater as well as Lewin's, yellow-spotted (also an endemic) and graceful honeyeaters. When fruit is left out the resident spotted catbirds also visit. Pale-yellow robins also visit, sneaking food. Finally, on the ground emerald doves, bar-shouldered doves and the occasional orange-footed scrubfowl or Australian brush turkey pick up what might have fallen. Though the Lewin's, yellow-spotted and graceful were all too quick for me to photograph (and 50% of the time I wasn't sure which one I was seeing) here are some pictures of the others.
To me several of those birds were lifers, or birds I had only quickly glimpsed once or twice.
The Macleay's honeyeater, endemic to Queensland, is easily seen at the feeders
Excuse the bad quality of this spotted catbird but I had to use my flash
A, well, emerald-green emerald dove
Again, excuse bad quality, but the light was a little dark. This is a pale yellow-robin.
My pictures, as normal, don't do the Park's feeder justice. I highly recommend staying there, for friendly hosts and great birding, even just in the lodge!

No comments:

Post a Comment