Search This Blog

Sunday 20 September 2015

WILSON'S PROM: SQUEAKY BEACH

Recently I went on another family trip, this time to Wilson's Promontory National Park ('the Prom') for 2 nights. I did a lot of birding on this trip and saw 4 lifers, as well as spotting 3 of my 4 target species (the one I missed was the southern emu-wren).
For this trip report I'm going to try something different: instead of reporting the day by day events, I will report each location visited separately.
A view of part of Squeaky Beach
The first location we went to was Squeaky Beach. This beach is known for its odd sand, which makes a squeaking sound when walked on. Though the beach wasn't extremely good for birds, I did manage to pick up 2 lifers on the first visit to the beach.
Squeaky Beach was the first site we explored. Immediately upon arriving I spotted my lifer beautiful firetail perched in a tree. As I walked further on I saw some white-browed scrubwrens and New Holland honeyeaters. Finally, when I got to the beach I saw another lifer, a crescent honeyeater, in a shrub on a sand dune. Pacific gulls, silver gulls and forest ravens were also feeding on the beach.
This beautiful firetail is one of the easiest lifers I've ever gotten
Several Pacific gulls and silvergulls were feeding on the beach 
After playing around in the rocky area at one end of the beach, we left. The second visit was much the same, though the honeyeater and firetail did not reappear. 
A rare kind of lichen found at the Prom makes these rocks appear orange
On our third visit it was low tide, and many rocks that had previously been submerged were revealed, covered in barnacles, seaweeds, mussels, Australian periwinkles and limpets.
Clusters of mussels like this were everywhere on the rocks
These periwinkles were perched very high up, at points where they were visible during high tide
Two limpets next to a small cluster of mussels
The black areas on the rocks are where the mussels are
SPECIES SEEN:
1. Silvergull
2. Pacific Gull
3. White-Browed Scrubwren
4. New Holland Honeyeater
5. Crescent Honeyeater
6. Red Wattlebird
7. Beautiful Firetail
TOTAL: 7
LIFERS: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment