Search This Blog

Thursday 24 January 2019

6 Weeks in Germany: Tempelhof

Tempelhof was once the main airport of West Berlin. When it was eventually abandoned, it was converted into a massive park, where a variety of birds can be seen.
Though the timing of my visit lead to me missing several key species that are only present in spring and summer, I still saw quite a lot here.
Upon arriving at the field, I could immediately see many Hooded crows and rooks, along with overflying Common gulls and a hovering Eurasian kestrel. The kestrels here proved to be extremely approachable, and later I got close views of several perched birds.
ROOK
Corvus frugilegus
EURASIAN KESTREL
Falco tinnunculus
As I walked further through the field, I came to a small wooded area near an old plane. Here were many Chaffinches, blackbirds, great tits, house sparrows and blue tits, along with the only greenfinch of the trip.
The highlight of my visits here was my first Northern goshawk, a female bird who flew swiftly into a tree, pursued by a flock of hooded crows mobbing it. I later also saw a Northern goshawk fly over the Tempelhof Station, setting a flock of feral pigeons to flight.

No comments:

Post a Comment