Search This Blog

Tuesday 27 December 2011

PIGEON ISLAND, SRI LANKA

Looking back through my posts, it appears I have not posted on Pigeon Island in Sri Lanka. As I should not get away with such a crime, I will post about the isle here.

Pigeon Island is an island off the shores of Trincomalee, Sri Lanka. It is famous for its population of wild, pure-bred rock doves. It is quite far out to sea, and our family was about to go to it!

We climbed into a small boat, passing a smaller island in front of us. Lesser crested terns, brown-hooded gulls (possibly) and house crows flew above us, the first two being lifers for me.

Brown-hooded gull

Lesser crested tern

If you can, please help me with these IDs. Then there were the more hard to identify birds, such as this character. Is this a crow, or a more interesting shearwater? And if this is a shearwater, what species of shearwater is it?

Possible shearwater

Finally, we arrived at Pigeon Island. When we stepped on the island, I realized how many rock doves there were. With the rock doves, perched randomly in the trees of the isle, were heaps of house crows. To one side, there were several rockpools, which I explored. There were various shells, crabs and even small fish at the rockpools.

Then we went snorkelling. We saw a black-spotted sergeant and some other fish we couldn't identify. Unfortunately, I don't have any photos of the fish.

A purebred rock dove, the star of the isle

Then a storm came in so we headed back to the mainland and drove back to Colombo. We stopped at Marble Beach but it wasn't open to visitors. It was quite cool seeing the lightning in the sky and it made us feel lucky that we had gotten to the island before the storm had.

No comments:

Post a Comment