Search This Blog

Saturday 10 December 2011

A TRIP TO THE WESTERN TREATMENT PLANT

Today my father, my grandmother and I went to the Western Treatment Plant. We woke up early at six o'clock in the morning and birded.

We started by going down Point Wilson Road, pointing out birds to my grandmother, who was just beginning to enjoy birding. Three large birds flying to the grass excited us all. From photos, I worked out that they were white-necked herons, a lifer for me and there were more! These herons have had a good year in Victoria, popping up all over the place.

A white-necked heron

We went down 28-Mile Road and opened Gate Three. We didn't expect a lot, but Austin Road Pond was booming with waterbirds. Banded stilts, my second lifer of the day, were everywhere. Just then, I spotted a small, contrastingly-patterned plover- my third lifer for today, a red-kneed dotterel! On the other side of the pond, I saw another lifer- a flock of black-tailed native-hens! There was also a royal spoonbill near the shore and two Australian shelducks. On the other side of the road, there were millions of cape barren geese and black swans in a distant pond, but they were too far away to photograph.

A banded stilt feeds

A red-kneed dotterel hides near some reeds.

The rest of the trip wasn't as good. We headed to Western Lagoon, where we saw a large flock of hoary-headed grebes and an equally large flock of black swans. We haphazardly went down 28 Mile Road, where we observed a pair of swamp harriers, then turned around and headed for Beach Road. Beach Road wasn't productive as the water levels were too high. Finally, we headed for home, with 4 new lifers for me.



Two hoary-headed grebes together.

No comments:

Post a Comment