Search This Blog

Sunday 15 January 2012

CAIRNS DAY 4

This is Day 4 of our Cairns Trip. Today we went on the Kuranda Scenic Train and Skyrail. While doing this, we see a special surprise.
We woke up at 3:30 and drove back to Cairns. We went back to the Motel, stopping briefly at a wetland and seeing orange-footed scrubfowl but not much else. Then, reunited with mum and my sister, we head for Freshwater Station to go on the Kuranda Scenic Train. The train soon arrives at the station. While waiting, I look at brown-backed honeyeaters, metallic starlings, peaceful doves, white-breasted woodswallows and chestnut-breasted mannikins that are in the trees around the station.
A chestnut-breasted mannikin in a tree
On the train, I fall asleep until we reach Kuranda. There, we go to Birdworld Aviary. I feed a sun conure parrot, while another one watches me. An eclectus parrot flies on me while I try to feed the conure. One conure attacks my dad's bag. I try to tempt it off with some food, but it bites me on my finger! Then we go on the skyrail. During the skyrail, I see a woodswallow perched up on the skyrail wire. At our first stop (I can't remember the name), I see someone taking photos of something. At first I think it might be a Boyd's forest dragon lizard or something like that. After looking closely, I see that it is a WILD CASSOWARY!
This is the most dangerous bird in the world
The cassowary is the most dangerous bird in the world. If you annoy it or threaten it, it will defend itself, slashing at people with its talons and kicking at them. DON'T ANNOY A CASSOWARY. If you do get in a confrontation with one, don't run. Back away slowly, getting a solid object like a tree between you and the bird, or, if there are no trees, holding up something like a pack and continuing to back away. People have been killed. However, we are their main threat, running over them with our cars.
When we return to Cairns, dad takes an early flight back. As soon as he has gone, my lifer scaly-breasted lorikeet flies in to the motel balcony. After going on a short walk and eating an ice cream, I go to sleep.
A few scaly-breasted lorikeets perching in a tree

No comments:

Post a Comment