Search This Blog

Saturday 14 January 2012

CAIRNS TRIP- DAY 1

I have just returned from a trip to Cairns. I will blog about our trip. I saw 14 new species of bird, from the pied imperial pigeon to the cassowary. This is Day 1
We arrived from the airport tired, having woken up at 5:30 to get our flight. We hired a car from Thrifty, then drove around Cairns, birding. Our first stop was the Esplanade. We didn't explore the mudflats. In the trees, I spotted a few Australian figbirds, common mynas and (flying overhead) my lifer pied imperial pigeon. Then we went to Cementary Lakes, where we saw some magpie geese, four Pacific black ducks and my lifer black butcherbird in a tree.
An adult black butcherbird
From there, we headed to the Mangrove Boardwalk. Because it was so sunny, the birdlife wasn't very active. Near the carpark, I spotted a peaceful dove, two Willie wagtails and this mystery bird which I can't identify- please help!
The mystery bird from the mangroves
On the walk, I saw what I think might have been a mangrove golden whistler. The muddy waters were alive with mudskippers, whelks and crabs. Mudskippers are fish that can venture on land (just a little). I managed to get a photo of one.
This is a mudskipper
Then we went to the airport to pick up my dad, who had taken a different flight. We headed to the Mantra motel, where we would stay. We checked in and got our rooms. We walked to the Esplanade. This time, we did explore the mudflats. I saw heaps of waders, including two grey-tailed tattlers (lifer), a few eastern curlews (lifer), lots of bar-tailed godwits and a common sandpiper. In the trees I saw heaps of pied imperial-pigeons and a few brown honeyeaters (lifer). There were probably more birds that we couldn't recognize or spot, but as it was getting dark, we headed home.
A pied imperial-pigeon sitting on its nest
A grey-tailed tattler feeding
An eastern curlew
The spectacled flying-foxes were beginning to fly over us. We did some light shopping, then headed for our motel and slept.

1 comment:

  1. Chanith. It was a great experience. I enjoyed every bit of it. It was a great adventure to travel to the Jetty and stay in Red Mill house. Andrew and Trish looked after us well. Thank you for the opportunity and showing us a different aspect of life now!

    ReplyDelete