Search This Blog

Friday 9 March 2012

A VISIT TO AFTON STREET

Ah, Afton Street Conservation Preserve. One of my favourite birding spots close to home. Paradalotes, terns, thornbills, silvereyes and raptors in one. Welcome swallows everywhere. Anyway, back to the post.
Yesterday we had headed off to Afton Street Conservation Preserve. Friday was a free day, so we decided to bird. With my sister, who is slowly turning into a birder, we were set to have a fine day. The first bird we saw was a Pacific black duck, swimming lazily in the water. Then, in the grassier areas, a crested pigeon decided to make my sister's acquaintance. High up in the air, a welcome swallow flew. Then, joining the swallows in the air, a black-shouldered kite, to my sister's delight, hovered in the air above the grass. Slowly but surely, we got closer and closer to the bird. Eventually it banked and flew away. In the grasslands, we stopped over at the forested area. A few honeyeaters were in the trees, as well as a silvereye.
A silvereye in a tree
Then we headed back- and had a surprise! That black-shouldered kite had perched extremely close to the trail, giving my sister and I great views!
It was sadly time to go home. A great cormorant flew above us, the final lifer for my sister as we headed back.

No comments:

Post a Comment