Search This Blog

Sunday 11 March 2012

A VISIT TO THE WESTERN TREATMENT PLANT

My dad and I decided to visit the Western Treatment Plant to try and see the broad-billed sandpiper reported by other people in the lagoons near Gate 4 at the end of Beach Road.
As usual, it was a long drive to the treatment plant. When we got there, we saw three magpies and some pelicans. A brown falcon flew across the road, but was too quick for my camera. Then we got to Gate 4.
We opened the Gate. We looked carefully for waders. At first, we saw only coots and Black swans. Then, we saw a huge flock of waders. I identified red-necked stilts and my lifer curlew sandpiper. What are the larger waders in this photo? Are they knots or godwits? What species of knot or godwit are they? Help!
Flock of waders at WTP
I don't get much practice identifying waders, so my skills aren't that good. At another, larger lake, flocks of red-necked avocet, black-winged stilt and more waders showed up. Among waders, I spotted more curlew sandpipers and this interesting bird I think is a sharp-tailed sandpiper. If I am right, it would be a lifer for me. (I don't see shorebirds that often).
The mystery bird
A flock of curlew sandpipers next to some red-necked avocets
Having seen some waders, we wandered off, seeing chestnut teal, little black cormorants, little pied cormorants, Australian white ibis, eastern great egrets and hoary-headed grebes. Eventually we came to a big flock of birds. What birds were in it I cannot say, because today's quiz will be about that flock. While we observed those birds, a pelican was swimming in the water. We decided to go to the pier and see what we could see. I spotted little pied cormorants and silver gulls. We went on the rough road to the spit, but saw more of the same. We had a good day at the treatment plant.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chanith. That was great learning more about the bird species at the WTP. I live in the west but haven't visited there yet. Keep up the great work and I look forward to reading your future posts. Cheers Tim

    ReplyDelete