Search This Blog

Thursday 12 April 2012

TRIP TO THE GRAMPIANS- DAY 1

Hi! I have just returned from a trip to the Grampians. This is my trip report of what happened bird-wise. The report starts from when we got to Halls Gap
I got out of the car, in the main center of Halls Gap. My mother went to the information center while the rest of us birded in a small park that showed us some of the commoner birds of the Grampians- pied currawongs, long-billed corellas, laughing kookaburras and red wattlebirds. Just then, a grey kangaroo bounded across the park! The amount of kangaroos in the Grampians just amazes me.
A pied currawong in a tree. These birds are very common in the Grampians.
A kangaroo. Both Western and Eastern Grey Kangaroos occur here. Can you identify the exact species?
After watching these birds, we went to a reservoir. There was a magpie and a probable forest raven at the reservoir, but not much else. Finally, we got to our cottage. The garden seemed to be full of birds. In a tree, I spotted a lifer, a beautiful male scarlet robin.
A male scarlet robin in a tree
After that we went to a restaurant where the food was O.K, but not that good. Before going to sleep we went on a night walk in the cottage grounds. There weren't many mammals because a big owl had scared them off. I heard a tawny frogmouth calling. Finally, my mum and I saw a sugar glider flying from tree-to-tree. I didn't get any photos of it, as it scrambled up among the leaves before I could switch on my camera. After that we went to bed. I couldn't get to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment