Search This Blog

Thursday 12 April 2012

TRIP TO THE GRAMPIANS- DAY 2

This was to be our final day in the Grampians. We started the day by exploring the gardens to look for birds. My dad pointed out some birds on the ground that I recognized as white-browed babblers, a lifer for me! We also saw crimson rosellas, sulphur-crested cockatoos, New Holland honeyeaters, grey shrike-thrushes and rainbow lorikeets.
White-browed babblers foraging
After exploring the garden we went to Wartook State Forest to bird. Just outside the forest I saw my lifer, a brown treecreeper, and another lifer on the fence, a jacky winter.








The jacky winter on a fence

The treecreeper creeps up a tree
In the forest were New Holland honeyeaters, red wattlebirds, sulphur-crested cockatoos, rainbow lorikeets and another treecreeper. Then we had lunch at an inn where I spotted my lifer, an eastern spinebill!
A spinebill at a flower, drinking nectar
After that we drove to Cherrypool. We couldn't find that, so we had to take a shortcut home. It is amazing how many interesting birds you can see on the side of the road in the Grampians. We spotted laughing kookaburras, crimson rosellas, a common bronzewing and a majestic wedge-tailed eagle.
A kookaburra near the car
The wedge-tailed eagle takes off
After that we went to Wonderland! For those of you who haven't been to the Grampians, Wonderland is a long, beautiful hike through part of the mountains. It is very fun and has good scenery. I throughly enjoyed it. Then we went to a flooded lake with lots of coots and greater cormorants, but not much else apart from a brown falcon.
A brown falcon perches on a tree
Finally, we had dinner. After dinner I saw a tawny frogmouth that I couldn't photograph. I had a great time in the Grampians!

No comments:

Post a Comment