Search This Blog

Tuesday 12 July 2011

Favourite Birding Spot I- Western Treatment Plant

I believe that it is just the right time for me to start talking about my favourite birding spots in Australia. Number 1 would definitely have to be...
THE WESTERN TREATMENT PLANT!
Although it is considered a sewage farm, the Western Treatment Plant is actually quite a nice place for birdwatchers to be and it doesn't smell bad! It consists of a saltmarsh (off-limits), some lagoons and lakes and the coastline. The main drawcards of the WTP are:
. Nationally Threatened waterbirds in Victoria
. The Internationally Critically Endangered orange-bellied parrot
. Lots of waders
. Lots of vagrant waders (eg. the 2011 stilt sandpiper)

I have only seen the Nationally Threatened waterbirds and 5 species of wader (in this blog, the term means 'all species of plover and sandpiper, including the resident ones') (red-necked stint, bar-tailed godwit, masked lapwing, red-capped plover, double-banded plover). I am working on the orange-bellied parrot.

For some photos of birds I've found there, just go to the post entitled 'Top 3 Nationally Threatened Waterbirds in Victoria'- all photos taken there were taken at the good old WTP. The permit is well worth it in this case. To get to the WTP, go down the Princes Freeway and take the Point Wilson Road Exit. Maps can be printed out from the Melbourne Water website, or obtained along with a bird checklist from the permit-selling area (don't ask me where it is, I've forgotten).

The WTP is a great place to go to!

No comments:

Post a Comment