Search This Blog

Sunday 10 July 2011

Portland Trip- Day Two or Portland- the trip back home

I woke up to find that we were going home today. While packing, I saw some superb fairy-wrens in the garden and bought my sister to see the waves close-up. As we were about to go, my mum spied some seabirds in the water. I quickly observed them and took a photo. One appeared to be a Pacific Gull, but the other one, seen straight from the veranda of the house, appeared to be a SHY ALBATROSS!
ABOVE- A very cropped, very bad photo of what appears to be a shy albatross! This image really does not do this bird justice.

The drive back home was quite long, with 2 stops. First we stopped in Warnambool to have lunch and go to Logan's Beach to spot whales- we didn't see any, but 1 greenfinch, some house sparrows and a large, dark grey-black, unidentified bird kind of made up for this. Then we stopped in the Otway Ranges to go on a treetop walk- this is when the birds of the day appeared!
The walk was a bit quiet in birds, however,it did turn up a brown thornbill and my almost-lifer eastern yellow robin.
The real climax of the walk was the feeder outside the cafe. To the front, I saw a grey shrike-thrush and lots of crimson rosellas. Then my dad reported an unidentified, yellowish-brown bird to me. I realised that it was a SATIN BOWERBIRD! Lifer! I tried to get good photos of the satin bowerbird, but the images I got aren't good enough to show on this blog, so instead I will show off an image of my also-lifer BASSIAN THRUSH!- Victoria's only native thrush species!


After this, apart from watching a movie in the car, nothing much of note really happened.

1 comment:

  1. With the satin bowerbirds, the female was at the feeder, I only got a glimpse of the male

    ReplyDelete