Search This Blog

Monday 29 August 2011

A VISIT TO BRIMBANK PARK AND A LITTLE PONDING

Yesterday my dad and I went to Brimbank Park again. We saw pretty much the same birds as yesterday, except this time, one of the fords wasn't flooded. We crossed the ford, but discovered the path led to a more residential area. On the river from the ford, we could see wood ducks, dusky moorhens and a few manky mallards. From the path along the other side of the river, we could see wattlebirds, a few pacific black ducks and another manky mallard.

In the area where we saw red-browed finches last time, we managed to spot a few white-browed scrubwrens and an unidentified bird of prey soaring far in the distance- so far that I couldn't focus on it with my camera. Plus, I managed to get some good images of a male superb fairy-wren.

All in all, it was a good visit.

A white-browed scrubwren in a tree

A dusky moorhen from the ford

A male superb fairy-wren

After visiting Brimbank Park, we had a snack at the Leaping Lizard Cafe and we went to a pond near my house and looked for pond bugs which we kept in our fish tank. We found an Ischura sp. damselfly nymph, a mosquito larvae, some water snails and some small water skaters. These were all identified using a book that I have. I recommend this to other people with an interest in wildlife, for it is quite fun and interesting to look at what might be lurking in the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment